On the Market / 18th-century home balances modern style with historical charm
WESTON — One of Weston’s most important Colonial-era houses is the charcoal gray clapboard antique colonial at 4 Norfield Road near the corner of Newtown Turnpike in the Lower Weston neighborhood. The Captain Daniel Godfrey House was built circa 1760 but it gracefully straddles past and present. This house was clearly built to have staying power. It lasted through the late 19th century, all of the 20th century and now into the 21st century. It helps that it was apparently very well-built to begin with but it also benefitted from an expansion and renovations along the way.
The current owners have implemented many upgrades and improvements to this house, spending more than $225,000 for renovations. Such projects included renovated baths, a new roof, septic and well pumps in 2014, a generator, and heating and air conditioning system. And it doesn’t end there. Four years ago, the owners added a water filtration system. The gourmet kitchen was added in 2016. In 2017 they installed a new electric retractable awning, new electric remote garage doors on the two-story barn built in the 1800s, and deer fencing on the perimeter of the property. A new oil tank was installed this year, as was a custom driveway gate by Walpole. In other words, while this house may have been built more than 200 years ago it has many features that make it worthy of modern life, including an elevator. Its historic architectural integrity remains intact. The 3,690-square-foot, 11-room house features many period details including wide-plank hardwood floor boards, original exposed hand-hewn chestnut beams, and seven fireplaces including a center hearth.
There are also period-correct barn beams in the new addition, which houses the kitchen, although those beams are not original to this house. Most of the home’s seven fireplaces are also original. Among the rooms in which they are found are the keeping room, formal living room, kitchen, and formal dining room, the latter of which has walls newly covered with attractive Philip Morris paper imported from England. The windows throughout the house are 12-over-12 double-hung. There is a rear staircase to a private suite.
Despite its age, the house has large rooms and high ceilings in common areas. In the kitchen the features include a center island topped with Pietra Cardosa stone, built-in seating, and a breakfast room with built-inshelving. High-end appliances include a Sub-Zero refrigerator, Wolf induction range, and Kitchen Aid Beverage fridge. A fieldstone wall borders the front of the property with two gates; one provides access to the driveway and the other is a wood gate to the stone path leading to the front door. The driveway leads to the vintage barn, which doubles as a three-car garage. It also has a large workshop inside that is used by one of the current owners are a crafting space or hobby shop.
The house is named for its original owner, David Godfrey, who led the “Fourteenth Company of the Fourth Militia in repelling the Redcoats when they raided a magazine at a mill in nearby Peekskill (New York)” during the Revolutionary War, according to a wealth of historic documentation provided by the co-listing agents. The information came from numerous sources including “History of Fairfield” by Elizabeth Hubbell Schenck; Record of Service of Connecticut Men in the War of the Revolution; Connecticut Archives, Revolutionary War; and the Weston Historical Society. “As the original home of Patriot Captain Daniel Godfrey (1760), this home is significant not only as an excellent example of the New England Colonial house form, but also for its association with the Godfrey, Taylor and Platt families.
Godfrey was one of the original covenanters of the Norfield Society as well as a member of the Continental Army. He served at the battles of Ridgefield and Peekskill and was a member of the local Coast Guard until 1782,” one document said. Another points out that “Daniel’s father, David Godfrey, was a Deacon in the Green’s Farms Congregational Church” and that “Daniel rounded up a Company of his neighbors and family. They elected him captain, and spent the three important summer months of the growing season as Minute Men on watch at Compo Beach.”
In the 1920s the property was purchased by Alice Delamar, who lived at 5 Norfield Road and owned Cobb’s Mill Inn. The house was also rented to the jazz critic John Hammond for many years. This property is many things, among them historical, modern and convenient. Weston Center and School Road are within easy walking distance. The Westport Metro-North train station is only 6.4 miles or 14 minutes away. Main Street in Westport is just over four miles away and Compo Beach is eight miles away. Wilton Town Center is only 3.4 miles or 9 minutes away.
For more information or to make an appointment to see the house contact Ryan Cornell and Dawn Kaam of William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty; Cornell at 203-200-0203 or firstname.lastname@example.org Kaam at 917-297-6430 or email@example.com. Visit Cornell’s website at www.ryancornell.com.
Real Estate Listings
ABOUT THIS HOUSE
STYLE: Antique Colonial
ADDRESS: 4 Norfield Road
FEATURES: 1800’s barn/three-car garage, Sedgwick elevator, 2.93-acrelevel and gated property, seven fireplaces, new wood roof in 2016; proximity to the centers of Weston, Westport and Wilton; sprinkler system, Lennox pure air purification system, bluestone patio, wood deck, critter-proof organic vegetable garden, perimeter deer fencing, perennial gardens, generator, covered porch, wood shed, workshop, Dutch door, walk-up attic, private well, four bedrooms, three full and one half baths
SCHOOLS: Hurlbutt Elementary, Weston Middle, Weston High
MILL RATE: 28.56 mills