Jury convicts two for roles in 2010 bank robberies
Updated 7:50 pm, Monday, March 25, 2013
A federal jury convicted two men on Monday for their roles in a string of Houston-area bank robberies in 2010, including the takeover at the Pearland Chase branch bank on New Year's Eve that ended after a six-hour standoff.
Jurors deliberated less than two hours, officials said. Smith and Johnson were the two remaining defendants of 14 charged in a series of bank robberies from Cypress to Pearland.
Glenn Bonner, 41, pleaded guilty on the first day of trial last week. Others who have pleaded guilty include: Gregory Wayne Ferguson, 20; Arlington Davis Wilkes, 22; Carl Ray Turner Jr., 26; Edward Johnson, 28; John Berley Scott, 31; Derrick Lashon Paley, 34; Michael Maurice Wilson Jr., 26; Roderick Marshall Beagle, 40; Michael Dushon Duncan, 21, and Kelvin Dewayne Thomas, 22.
Another defendant, Jeremy Benton, 22, was charged and later pleaded guilty.
Officials said the conspiracy involved "casing" banks that did not have security guards or bullet-resistant barriers. Prosecutors presented evidence at trial that indicated the men used lookouts during the robberies and used stolen cars as getaway vehicles, official said.
At most of the robberies, the men used demand notes written by Smith and brandished firearms, according to testimony presented at trial.