Way Back When... 1725
Established about 1725, the Colonial Greens Farms Burying Ground is notable for the quantity and quality of its carvings.
Lyzette Hyde Munroe, wife of African-American property owner Henry Munroe, is buried in the cemetery. Her stone reads: “In memory of Lyzette, wife of Henry Munroe, who died August 21, 1836 aged 58 Years, 5 months and 8 days.”
African-American Dorcas Hyde is also buried there and is believed to have been enslaved by the Hyde family. Both graves are in the far southwest corner, formerly the black section of the
As with most colonial burial grounds, the grave are positioned with the head laying to the west and the feet to the east, so that on Judgment Day, the resurrected dead can arise to face the dawn.
The inscribed faces of the headstones generally face west while those of the foot stones face east. The entrance to the burying ground, flanked by stone pillars and iron gates, is located on Green's Farms Road opposite the site of the second meeting house of West Parish. This structure was burned by the British during the raid on Fairfield on July 7, 1779.