The latest storm of the still-young winter season Tuesday morning didn't drop a lot of snow on southwestern Connecticut, but the icy coating left in the wake the storm's freezing rain, closed schools, caused havoc on roads sidewalks alike, and snarled trains.

Police Sgt. Suzanne Lussier, a Fairfield police spokesman, said the number of motor vehicle accidents appeared to be minimal, and many of the mishaps were fender-benders in parking lots. In one instance, the plow on a town truck struck the rear bumper of a parked, occupied car on Chapman Avenue, but caused only minor damage.

Westport police also reported that things were relatively quiet, with no major accidents.

And while ice buildup on power cables can often cause lines to fall, knocking out electric service, there were relatively few outages reported. As of midday, there were 101 Connecticut Light & Power customers without power in Westport, but United Illuminating was reporting no outages in Fairfield.

Damage to Metro-North Railroad wires in the Noroton Heights area early Tuesday, caused delays up to 30 to 40 minutes throughout the morning to trains running in both directions on the New Haven Line.

Despite the relative ease with which towns appeared to handling the latest winter blast, Lussier urged motorists to continue to use caution while driving.

"In light of the recent pedestrian accident," she said, " everybody should be cautious. A lot of the sidewalks have not been shoveled or sanded and pedestrians are moved into the roadway and it makes for much more dangerous conditions.

A 17-year-old girl walking home Saturday night from her restaurant job on Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield was struck by a hit-and-run driver, and who fled the scene leaving the girl injured in a snow bank. The driver had not been located as of Tuesday, and that accident remains under investigation.

Snow began falling across southwestern Connecticut early Tuesday, and as of 5 a.m., a slick coating of about one-half inch covered the streets, making driving hazardous.

In a "Winter Weather Advisory" for the region that lasted until 1 p.m., the National Weather Service predicted total snow accumulation will be 2 to 3 inches. But the snow mixed with freezing rain later in the morning, coating the earlier accumulation and compounding travel hazards.

As the temperature rose throughout the day, the wintry mix was expected to change to all rain.

Tuesday's top temperature should be in the high-30s. Rain was expected to continue Tuesday until about 9 p.m., according to the NWS.

There's still a chance of rain in Wednesday's forecast, ending about 2 p.m. Clouds will continue to cover the region with a daytime high temperature about 40 degrees.

Wednesday night will be cloudy, then gradually becoming clear, with a low around 25. The wind will be northwest wind between 16 and 18 mph.

Thursday is expected to be partly sunny, with a high near 30, the weather service predicts.