Foul-smelling package prompts emergency response

WESTPORT — A suspicious package emitting a foul odor prompted the response of several first-responder units Wednesday morning.

Lt. Jillian Canbana said in a release that at 8:30 a.m., Westport police and fire were dispatched to a Riverside Avenue address for a report of a suspicious package.

“The package had been received on Dec. 31, but not opened until this morning. The building was temporarily evacuated. No one who handled the package prior to arrival of emergency services reported any illness or required medical treatment,” Cabana said.

The Fairfield County Hazardous Incident Response Team also responded to assist.

The Stamford Bomb Squad was summoned to the scene and was able to determine the package did not contain an explosive device.

The incident remains under investigation by the Westport Police Department Detective Bureau in conjunction with the United States Postal Inspection Service.

—jshay@ctpost.com

Arrest made

in July road-rage incident

GREENWICH — An instance of road rage in July lead to the recent arrest of a Westport man, according to Greenwich police.

Steven Lepkowski, 27, of Post Road, was charged with third-degree assault, risk of injury to a minor, criminal mischief, breach of peace, driving with a suspended license and traffic violations.

The arrest stemmed from a road-rage incident in July at Indian Field Road and East Putnam Avenue, police said.

An investigation determined “Lepkowski exited his vehicle and struck another driver in the face (in the presence of minor children) causing a minor injury to the victim,” according to a police statement.

Police in Stamford came across Lepkowski last week and determined he was wanted in Greenwich. He has a number of other motor-vehicle related arrests on his record, police said.

Bail was set at $10,000.

—rmarchant@greenwichtime.com

Bayberry Lane Bridge to be temporarily closed

WESTPORT — Beginning Jan. 7 and for approximately two days, the Bayberry Lane Bridge over the Aspetuck River will be closed from 6 a.m. until 5 p.m. in order to conduct soil borings in preparation for the replacement of the bridge, said Public Works Director Peter Ratkiewich in a news release.

The closure is weather dependent and appropriate signage will be posted.

The Bayberry Lane Bridge is eligible for replacement under the Federal Local Bridge Program administered by the state Department of Transportation. The cost of the bridge replacement will receive 80 percent reimbursement from federal aid with the remaining 20 percent paid from municipal funds. The project design has started and is expected to be completed by 2020, with construction expected in 2021.

Persons wanting additional information should contact the Westport Public Works Department at 203-341-1120.

The federal aid for the project was authorized under the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act.