WESTPORT — Police said a New Yorker was charged with a series of identity theft-related charges in Westport.

Steven Digsby, 55, of North Babylon, New York, was charged with third-degree identity theft, forth-degree criminal attempt at larceny, criminal impersonation, cred card theft and unlawful reproduction of a credit card, police said.

Police responded to a call at the Bank of America on Post Road East in Westport for a report that a man attempted to cash a fraudulent check around 1:30 p.m. on July 19.

The bank teller that called police about the incident told police that Digsby arrived at the bank around 11:45 a.m. and attempted to cash a check made out to someone else. Digsby presented a Pennsylvania license with the victim’s name, but his photo, the teller told police.

The teller said while processing the transaction, they pulled up the account profile for the name Digsby provided and noticed a different date of birth from the one on the license Digsby presented. Police said there was also a fraud alert on the account.

Police said the teller refused to process the transaction and Digsby left. Shortly after, another bank customer turned in a wallet found inside the bank.

The wallet, police said, belonged to Digsby and contained a New York driver’s license. Digsby returned to the bank about an hour after he left and asked the teller if the wallet had been located, police said.

The teller told him it had not been found and another bank employee called police. The suspect left the bank prior to police arrival, employees told police.

But police were informed the suspect was last seen driving a Volvo with New York plates westbound on Post Road East. The car was located by police in the area of Post Road East and Morningside Drive.

Police said Digsby was detained while the situation was investigated further.

The officers found an illegally manufactured credit card in Digsby’s wallet. And police said they determined that he assumed a legitimate Bank of America account holder’s identity in order to cash the fraudulent check.

Digsby was released from custody on a $10,000 bond, police said, and he was given a court date for July 28.