Minute Man statue takes cover ... for now
Published 6:03 am, Wednesday, September 10, 2014
It's hard to recognize, but the Minute Man statue is still guarding the sentry post at the intersection of Compo Road South and Compo Beach Road it's held for more than a century.
It's just under wraps.
The plastic tarp covering the town's iconic symbol is designed to protect the statue as restoration of the Minute Man takes place.
The monument at the intersection of Compo Road South and Compo Beach Road, unveiled in June 1910, commemorates the local militia who took on invading British troops in April 1777.
Francis Miller, directing conservator and founder of ConservArt in Hamden, who was contracted by the town for the restoration, began the $66,900 project last month. At that time, Miller said he expected the work to be completed by Oct. 31.
The project includes reworking the fieldstone foundation and raising it about 18 inches and restoring the wrought iron fence that originally encircled the monument.
The earthen mound, which has eroded over time, will be regraded and missing mortar on the rubble-stone pedestal base will be replaced, Miller explained.
He said the statue itself doesn't require much repair, but it will be washed with a coat of protective wax applied to it by hand.
The original bronze statue was designed by 30-year-old H. Daniel Webster and cast by Tiffany & Co.