A New Bedford, Mass., man will serve one year in prison after pleading guilty to charges stemming from a dramatic police chase last fall in Westport.

Thomas Gardner, 35, entered guilty pleas to charges of assault on a public safety officer and engaging police in pursuit during an appearance earlier this week in Norwalk Superior Court.

Gardner received a one-year prison sentence on each charge, but the terms will be served concurrently. He was taken to the Bridgeport Correctional Center and from there will be assigned to a state prison.

Gardner has outstanding warrants from the Bristol County, Mass., district attorney's office charging him with violating a protective order and receiving a stolen motor vehicle, an employee of the Bristol County District Attorney's Office said Wednesday.

Though Gardner was once mentioned as a suspect in the murder of a man whose body was found in his home, no murder warrant could be found Wednesday, a clerk for District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter said.

No information on the investigation into the death of Michael Duarte was available from Sutter's office.

Officer Ken Pimental, a spokesman for police in New Bedford, Mass., could not immediately be reached for comment.

Westport police captured Gardner after a dramatic, five-hour manhunt in November during which residents were warned to stay inside and lock their doors.

The manhunt, which involved police from three departments and shut down Metro-North service for a brief period, ended just a few blocks from where it began when Gardner ditched a stolen vehicle near the parking lot of the Westport Country Playhouse following a high-speed police chase down Interstate 95 and through local roads.

Police say the pursuit began when Fairfield officers spotted the stolen vehicle -- a Honda Civic registered to Duarte -- headed south on Interstate 95. Westport police were alerted of the chase when Gardner and tailing patrol cruisers poured off Exit 18 and continued on local streets, police said.

During the chase, prosecutors say Gardner attempted to evade a spike strip and ran over a Westport officer's foot. The officer did not require medical attention.