A Bridgeport man charged by Westport police with raping a teenaged girl in Westport in last November pleaded not guilty to rape and risk of injury charges Friday.

Joseph Carey, 23, of Harrell Avenue in Bridgeport, was released after posting a $100,000 bond. He filed the plea with his New York City lawyer Rachel Barmack at Stamford Superior Court.

Carey was charged Oct. 23 with first-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor, and the case was transferred to the Part A docket in Stamford, where the region's most serious cases are adjudicated.

According to his arrest affidavit, the 17-year-old girl and her aunt came to Westport police headquarters on Nov. 23, 2012, to report that she had been raped earlier that morning by Carey.

The girl told police that she was visiting her aunt in Westport when Carey, who was an acquaintance, insisted on visiting her.

She said he walked from train station to her aunt's home late at night. Soon after getting there, she said Carey began touching her inappropriately. She told him several times to stop, the affidavit states.

But Carey began squeezing the back of her neck and she felt as though she was being choked, according to the affidavit. He then pulled off the girl's leggings and forced himself on her, the affidavit states.

She told police that during the assault she was trying to breathe and cry for help, but the only thing she could do was cry.

After the assault when Carey leaned over and kissed the teen on the forehead and said, "Thank you," she could smell the alcohol on his breath, according to the affidavit.

After the complaint was field, a police officer called Carey, who denied having sex with the girl. He said he would come to police headquarters to discuss the allegations, but police say he changed his phone number and never came to the station to answer questions about the incident.

In June, the state Forensic Science Laboratory in Middletown notified Westport police that they were able to determine that the girl's leggings, which had been turned over to police and sent to the lab, showed two semen stains.

After a search warrant was signed for Carey's DNA, he went to the police headquarters where he submitted to a buccal swab to collect his DNA and the sample was sent to the lab. A month later police were notified that Carey's DNA was consistent with the semen stains on the leggings and a warrant was signed for his arrest, the affidavit states.

Carey is scheduled to return to court on Dec. 13.