A 25-year-old Westport man, taken into custody last December after a chase from the Saugatuck section of town where he was suspected of a series of residential break-ins, has been charged with four burglaries in the area.

Jamal Washington, of Hiawatha Lane, was charged with the four residential thefts Friday while in custody at Norwalk Superior Court.

The homes Washington is charged with burglarizing, according to Westport police, include two on Burritts Landing North, one on Burritts Landing South and one on Judy Point Lane. All of the incidents took place last December, police said.

Charges filed against Washington include: two counts of second-degree burglary, third-degree burglary, fifth-degree larceny and three counts of sixth-degree larceny. His cumulative bond was set at $127,500.

Washington was taken into custody last Dec. 22 in Fairfield after a search several hours long when he and a woman, identified by police as his accomplice, were spotted in the Saugatuck neighborhood.

His arrest followed an alert issued by police about a series of residential burglaries in the area, clustered in the Burritts Landing area. The break-ins took place in a span of less than two weeks during December, police said, and several of the incidents took place while residents were at home sleeping.

After the alleged accomplice -- Lauren Yaeger, 20, of Stamford -- was seen walking through the neighborhood early Dec. 22, she was taken into custody while the man believed to Washington fled.

Police launched a search for Washington, setting up a neighborhood perimeter and then spreading out over the course of several hours into Norwalk. State and Norwalk police joined the search, assisted by a K-9 team from Trumbull.

However, they were not able to immediately find the suspect.

Detectives then learned that Washington had left the area by taxi cab and was headed to Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield. Surveillance of the road's 3900 block was set up with assistance by Fairfield police, and when Washington arrived, he was confronted by Westport officers.

He fled, but was apprehended after a brief foot chase, police said.