Man charged with making online threat to kill people
Updated 5:44 am, Tuesday, August 13, 2013
A 25-year-old Charcoal Hill Road resident was charged Monday with threatening to shoot and kill multiple people in a posting he made on a social-networking site.
Jonathan Wismer was charged with second-degree threatening in connection with the web postings.
Police said they were alerted by the website, MeetMe.com, on Monday morning that a threatening comment had been posted on the site by a Westport resident. The website describes itself as an online place to: "Meet new people new you ... making friends, chatting and hanging out," and claims to have 90 million users.
The resident, identified as Wismer, allegedly threatened to use what police said was "a long weapon" to kill multiple people. The threat was made via Wismer's MeetMe profile and was posted early Monday.
Earlier postings by Wismer threatening violence had been deleted by the webiste, according to police.
Police executed a search warrant at Wismer's residence later Monday and said that no weapons were found on the premises.
Bond was set at $10,000, and Wismer is scheduled to appear Aug. 22 on the charge in Norwalk Superior Court.