Man arrested in Bridgeport drive-by shooting

Bridgeport Police responded to the shooting of a man in the head on Monday.

Bridgeport Police responded to the shooting of a man in the head on Monday.

Hearst Connecticut Media / Wes Duplantier

BRIDGEPORT — A city man was being held on $1 million bond Tuesday after police said he shot another man in the head in a drive-by shooting on Fairfield Avenue Monday afternoon.

Allen Young, 26, of uncertain address, was charged with attempted murder, first-degree assault and stealing a firearm.

“Get me out,” Young shouted to a group of young men sitting in the back of the courtroom during his arraignment Tuesday afternoon.

Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Nicholas Bove urged Superior Court Judge Tracy Lee Dayton to set a high bond for Young.

But Young’s lawyer, Assistant Public Defender Carli Riccio urged leniency for her client who she said has held a steady job.

“A man was shot in the head,” the judge replied. She also pointed out that Young is on probation for a prior gun conviction.

She ordered him held in lieu of $1 million and continued the case to Nov. 23.

According to police, shortly before 3 p.m., ShotSpotter activated to three gunshots fired on Fairfield Avenue.

When officers got to the scene, police said witnesses told them the victim was in the Bridgeport Rescue Mission and that the shots had come from a Volkswagen sedan that had sped from the scene.

Police said the victim was found in the mission suffering from a bullet wound to the head. He was taken to St. Vincent’s Medical Center where police said he was in stable condition.

Police said witnesses told them that the Volkswagen had pulled up to a BMW sedan on Fairfield Avenue and the driver of the Volkswagen had fired a silver handgun at the driver of the BMW.

Officers later spotted the Volkswagen on the East Washington Avenue bridge and followed it to Seaview Avenue where it was stopped, police said.

Police said the driver, Young, was taken into custody along with two passengers. Police said officers found a .40-caliber handgun in the car’s glove box.