FAIRFIELD — Awakened by the sound of an intruder early Friday morning, a couple found their next door neighbor, dressed only in a bathrobe and T-shirt, standing and watching their daughter sleep.

“Several people were screaming,” police said when they pulled up to the Tunxis Hill Road home shortly after 5:30 a.m. Sept. 22.

The family, which had called 911, managed to chase Eric Kusheba into a corner of their kitchen where police said they took him into custody. They said the 36-year-old Kusheba was wearing a black bathrobe and black T-shirt but nothing else. In the right pocket of his robe they said they found a set of brass knuckles.

Police said Kusheba, who previously served two years in prison on assault and bomb-making charges, told them he had been in his home when he thought he saw two people walking around his neighbor’s property. He said he put his robe on and ran outside to find the neighbor’s front door open. Police said he then told them he entered the neighbor’s house to make sure everything was all right and found himself in the bedroom of the teenage daughter.

According to police, Kusheba cut a window screen to force his way into the home, and then entered the juvenile’s bedroom, where he watched her sleep.

Police said they escorted Kusheba to his home to get dressed. While in Kusheba’s home, they said they found a pair of children’s underpants on his dresser despite the fact that he has no children.

Kusheba agreed to let officers access his cell phone. On it they said they found four images of nude young girls in sexually explicit positions and a video clip of a man masturbating over a pair of children’s underwear that appeared similar to the one Kusheba had.

Kusheba, wearing a black T-shirt with the word “Slavers” over a mottled skull, was later arraigned before Superior Court Judge William Holden.

He is charged with home invasion, carrying a dangerous weapon, third-degree possession of child pornography, voyeurism and second-degree stalking.

Kusheba nodded his head as Holden found probable cause in the case and ordered Kusheba to have no further contact with his neighbors. He then ordered Kusheba held in lieu of $500,000 bond and continued the case to Oct. 3.

In 2009 Kusheba kept Naugatuck police at bay with a gun for two hours after having a fight with his girlfriend, according to court records. He later pleaded guilty to attempted first-degree assault and was sentenced to two years in prison. He was also convicted at that time of bomb making and sentenced to a concurrent 18 months.