In a much tougher game than expected, the Weston girls basketball team beat Wilton at home last Wednesday, 46-43. The Lady Trojans raised their record to 3-2. Wilton dropped to 0-5. The teams' records didn't mean anything as the Lady Warriors came out aggressively and took it to their hosts from the opening tip. Weston started off sluggishly and couldn't seem to get into a rhythm, as Wilton jumped out to an early lead.

The Lady Trojan's battled back and were led by junior guard Christina Welsh and senior captain forward Brittney Swanson, who recently returned from an illness. Those two girls were the only Lady Trojan scorers (five points each) in the first quarter as they gave Weston a 10-8 lead.

The second quarter started off just like the first with Wilton tying the game three times. Weston went up 16-15 with 2:50 left in the half on the strong play of juniors Hannah Hutchins and Dakota Sloop, who powered her way to five rebounds in the first half. With Wilton putting strong pressure on Welsh and Swanson, Hutchins stepped up her passing and scoring when it counted most.

Swanson added four more points and senior captain Jessica Welsh dropped in three more to keep the Lady Trojans in front. Wilton continued to push hard on both ends of the court causing the Weston to foul more often.

With two minutes left in the half, Hutchins went to the free throw line for a one-and-one, she made the first shot, missed the second but followed up her miss with a basket to put Weston up 18-16. A minute later, Sloop pulled down an offensive board and put it back in for another score. Two free throws by Hutchins put Weston up 22-18 to end the half.

Weston opened the second half with a quick run and built a 10 point lead with 4:30 left in the third period. But the Lady Warriors were not done by any means. Wilton made a furious charge at the 3:30 mark using good hustle, a number of steals and fast breaks at every opportunity. They cut the lead to five, 35-30, at the three minute mark. Playing an aggressive two-three zone defense, Wilton forced Weston into giving up the ball and with 1:12 remaining in the third period, closing the gap to one, 35-34.

With just 26 seconds left in the quarter while fighting for a rebound under the basket, Sloop twisted her ankle and wasn't able to return. Sophomore Lianna Hursch stepped in and filled the middle for Sloop.

Christina Welsh opened the fourth quarter with a three-pointer to make it 38-34 Weston. Wilton wasn't quitting and kept the pressure on the Lady Trojan.

With the score 44-43 and just 37.7 seconds left in the game, Weston called a time out to plan its final strategy. Hutchins was fouled and after making the first free throw, Wilton called a time out to ice her. However, Hutchins stepped back up and coolly made the second giving Weston a 46-43 lead. With 15.7 remaining. Wilton brought the ball up the court, but turned it over to secure Weston's win.