Fire dept. warns about generators and carbon monoxide poisoning
Updated 6:35 pm, Wednesday, March 14, 2018
WESTPORT — While there were elevated carbon monoxide levels at a town residence Sunday, no one was injured or suffered any ill effects.
“Fortunately none of the occupants were suffering any of the effects from the carbon monoxide,” Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Gootman said.
Westport firefighters responded to the home after receiving a call from an alarm company, which reported a carbon monoxide alarm. Upon arrival, firefighters found a carbon monoxide reading of 120 parts per million and determined the source of the carbon monoxide to be a portable generator running too close to the home, fire officials said.
The generator had been operating for five days and the homeowner disconnected the alarm system’s battery, which led the home to have no fire or carbon monoxide protection. When the utility company restored power, the alarm system activated and alerted the occupants of the carbon monoxide levels.
The residence’s four occupants were evacuated and evaluated by Emergency Medical Services.
The Westport Fire Department cautioned residents to be wary about carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Report any problems with your alarm system to your alarm company for repair. If your alarm system needs repair or is faulty, please immediately place battery powered smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home until your alarm system is repaired. Please make sure you replace your batteries in your detectors twice a year at daylight saving time to ensure they will work in times of a power outage. ‘Change Your Clock, Change Your Batteries!’” the fire department said in a release. “Always read and follow your generator’s instructions. This includes keeping at least 5-feet clearance around your generator.”
email@example.com; 203-842-2638; @SophieCVaughan1