Cops: Man fled scene after crashing into restaurant
Updated 5:15 pm, Monday, February 8, 2016
A Westport man has been charged with smashing his car into the front of a Post Road West restaurant last month and leaving the scene.
William Boland, 52, of Main Street, was charged on a warrant last Friday with evading responsibility, operating with his license under suspension, interfering with an officer/investigation and second-degree false statement.
The incident took place Jan. 23, according to the report, when Boland struck the front of Senor Salsa restaurant on Post Road West. A witness told police that he got out of the vehicle to check the damage, then got back in and drove off.
The witness recorded the license plate number of the vehicle in the accident and gave it to police. About a week later, the witness identified a photo of Boland as the driver in the incident, police said.
Boland, however, wrote and signed a sworn statement denying that he was the driver, according to the report.
He was taken into custody on the charges last Friday. Bond was set at $500, and he is scheduled to appear Feb. 16 at state Superior Court in Norwalk.