Christ & Holy Trinity Church to unveil Great Hall
Updated 9:38 am, Saturday, May 28, 2011
A year after breaking ground on construction of its new Great Hall addition, Christ & Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Westport on June 12 will unveil the recently completed 3,000-square-foot building at the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Church Lane. The ceremony will take place at 10:45 a.m.
The church's first new building in more than 50 years was designed by Deirdre O'Farrelly Architects and Antinozzi Associates to accommodate 300 people standing and 200 seated. It complements the gothic architectural style of the original stone church.
The addition features vaulted ceilings with exposed wooden beams, an oak plank floor and balconies on the interior, and New England-style board and batten siding on the exterior with a masonry tower to match the stonework of the main church. The two-story building also houses five classrooms, a music room and kitchen, as well as a cloistered courtyard for events.
The hall will serve the church's ministries, including its five children and adult choirs, a preschool, church school and youth programs, summer bible school, music and arts program, outreach program and health ministry.
The hall will also be used by 100 community organizations, such as the Boy Scouts, Seeing Eye Dog Training, Alcoholics Anonymous and Safe Rides.
The $4.7 million project, which includes renovation of the existing building, also features a new landscape designed by New Canaan landscape architect Wesley Stout that adds 50 new trees to the historic grounds.
The five-year Great Hall project was spearheaded by a project committee including Chairman Tim Davies, David Fiore, Kemp Lewis, Paul Hammond, Deirdre O'Farrelly and Kevin Smith. The committee worked with the Rev. John Branson; Sue Ryan, director of administration; church wardens Frances Rowland and Mike Morris; and Treasurer Louis Fuertes. Other consultants included Lawrence P. Weisman, a lawyer with Halloran & Sage, LLP; Melvin H. Barr Jr., a real estate consultant with Barr Associates LLC; the owner's representative Robert Cavello of Westview Group LLC; building engineer Tighe & Bond; and construction management firm A.P. Construction Co.
The church was consecrated in November 1835 as Christ Church on the northeast corner of Ludlow and Post roads. In 1944, the church merged with Memorial Church of the Holy Trinity, 75 Church Lane, to create Christ & Holy Trinity Church.