Center Street fire death caused by smoke inhalation
Updated 9:29 am, Monday, November 14, 2011
The homeowner who died Friday when fire erupted in her Center Street house succumbed to smoke inhalation, according to the state medical examiner.
The death of Anne Marie Christopher, 70, was also accidental, according to the medical examiner.
Christopher was found in her bedroom by firefighters after the smoky fire at 16 Center St. was reported about 4 p.m. Friday, according to Fire Chief Andrew Kingsbury. Firefighters moved her outside and performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation, but she did not survive, Kingsbury said.
According to online town records, Christopher was the owner of the house.
A Brightfield Lane neighbor, who declined to give her name, said she was raking leaves in the backyard of her home when she smelled smoke. She ran to her home's front yard where she "saw smoke billowing" from the Center Street house.
Multiple firefighting units were dispatched to the scene when the fire was reported.
Backup fire units were sent from Fairfield, Norwalk and Weston to assist at the fire scene and to help cover Westport stations.
The fire was quickly extinguished, according to fire officials.