WESTPORT — Deshawn Harper, 41, of Bridgeport, was charged with burglary and criminal trespass following an investigation by Westport police.

On Oct. 1 at 4:40 p.m., officers responded to a Westport residence on a trespassing complaint. Upon arrival, officers spome with the builder and owner of the home, who reportedly explained that while in the process of showing the home to a potential buyer, a man arrived and walked directly into the residence.

When told to leave, the man claimed the home belonged to him, but ultimately left the area. Before leaving, he allegedly gave a business card to the owner with the name Deshawn Harper printed on it. It was discovered Harper had also been arrested in September 2018 for entering the same residence, police said.

Another arrest warrant was granted for Harper in connection with the October incident.

On Nov. 5 around 4:30 p.m., officers again responded to this same residence on a reported burglary.

“It was explained by the homeowner that while inside of the residence he heard a noise coming from a lower floor and believed that Harper was once again within the residence. The home was found to be vacant on this date, however the homeowner relayed that on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018, he had discovered that a window to the home had been tampered with and damaged in an apparent effort to gain entry into the structure,” police said.

The owner reported he had observed several strange things in recent weeks such as lights that were left on by him only to be found turned off, and mail on the front porch that had been addressed to Harper. Among this assorted mail were several bills from a local utility company that were addressed to Harper using the address of that residence, according to police. An arrest warrant was granted for Harper in connection with this investigation.

On Sept. 12, police were contacted by the Bridgeport Police Department reporting that Harper was currently in their custody in connection with Westport’s department’s two active arrest warrants.

Local officers responded and took custody of Harper, who was transported back to Westport. Harper was subsequently arrested and charged with three counts of first-degree criminal trespass, two counts of third-degree burglary, and two counts of second-degree criminal mischief.

Total bond for the two cases was set at $20,000. Computer checks also showed that Harper currently had an active warrant for an arrest stemming from his failure to appear in court as scheduled. Per this warrant, he was additionally charged with first-degree failure to appear and bond was set at $10,000.

Harper was unable to post these bonds and was transported to state Superior Court in Norwalk for arraignment on Sept. 13.