WESTPORT — The town’s fire department stopped a basement fire on Rockyfield Road from taking down the whole home, fire officials said.

Around 11 a.m. on Monday, the fire department received a call about smoke in a residential basement at 5 Rockyfield Road. The department sent three engines, one truck and the shfit commander, Assistant Chief Philip Hessberger, to the scene.

The first engine to arrive reported a fire involving the sill plate near the home’s fireplace. An additional engine was assigned to the call while the Fairfield fire department manned Westport’s stations. After 50 minutes of removing concrete from the fireplace, the charred material was extinguished with a small amount of water, the department said.

There were no injuries and the residents were not displaced from their home. The last fire unit cleared the scene around noon that day.

svaughan@hearstmediact.com; 203-842-2638; @SophieCVaughan1