EASTON — Police arrested two men for allegedly trying to steal hemp plants from an area farm early Sunday.

According to a post on the Easton Police Department Facebook page, at 1:15 a.m. Sunday, officers received a call from a farm on Sport Hill Road reporting that suspicious persons were on the property and were attempting to steal legally regulated hemp plants which are used to produce CDB oil.

CBD oil is a non-intoxicating substance made from the hemp that is purported to be a remedy for a variety of ailments, including inflammation and anxiety.

Police said, shortly after the call was received, an officer responding to the Sport Hill Road farm observed a dark-colored Honda with New York registration parked near the scene.

The officer went to investigate the vehicle and it then fled the scene, police said. The officer pursued the vehicle south on Route 59. The vehicle then was involved in a one-car crash near the exit 46 entrance/exit ramp to the Merritt Parkway, police said.

The passenger was apprehended at the scene and was transported to St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport for treatment of minor injuries. The operator was able to flee on foot, police said.

The Westport Police Department K-9 unit responded to the scene and conducted a search with negative results. Further investigation showed that the vehicle was stolen from East Haven on Sept. 26. Police said, approximately two hours later, a trooper with the Connecticut State Police apprehended the suspect alongside the Merritt Parkway near Exit 49 and he was turned over to the Easton Police Department. The Fairfield Police Department was on scene and assisted in the investigation.

The investigation is continuing into two other suspicious incidents at the location in recent weeks.

Police charged the driver, Josue Gonzalez-Vazquez, 19 of New Haven, with third-degree larceny, engaging in pursuit, misuse of plates and other motor vehicle charges. The passenger, Jacob Castro, 19, of Hamden was charged with conspiracy to commit third-degree larceny.

Both persons were processed and held on a $10,000 bond and were scheduled to appear in court on Monday.