Garbage truck with propane tanks catches fire in Fairfield
Updated 1:57 pm, Thursday, December 7, 2017
FAIRFIELD - A loaded garbage truck - that had some propane tanks in the trash - caught fire near Starbucks on the Boston Post Road early Thursday morning.
Fire crews arrived within minutes and found a truck with its load on fire around 6 a.m.
According to the fire department, “the first arriving officer, Lt Phil Higgins, instructed the driver to dump the flaming refuse into the road, an action which prevented the fire from extending to the vehicle.
“Crews from three engines, one heavy rescue and one command vehicle quickly brought the blaze under control. The truck driver who reported the fire was not injured.”
Crews found remains of propane cylinders in the pile of smoldering debris, items which present a tremendous explosion hazard to firefighters and refuse workers.
“Pressurized cylinders, like propane tanks, should never be discarded as residential waste,” said Assistant Chief Roger Caisse.
“Instead, they should be safely disposed of at designated collection points.”
The Town of Fairfield transfer station at 898 Richard White Way accepts typical camp and grill size propane cylinders for a $1 or $5 fee.