Feds: CT man pleads guilty to child pornography charge

Photo of Peter Yankowski
A judge's gavel for the files.

A judge's gavel for the files.

Bjoern Wylezich / TNS

A 61-year-old Bristol man has pleaded guilty to a federal child pornography charge, after authorities said he sent sexually explicit images of himself to a 15-year-old girl through a messaging app.

Jeffrey Bacon pleaded guilty Tuesday to one count soliciting child pornography in a video appearance before Magistrate Judge Donna F. Martinez, according to a news release from the U.S. attorney’s office for the District of Connecticut.

Authorities said Bacon met the girl in October 2018 through a group chat for teens on Kik, a popular messaging app.

After he sent the girl “sexually explicit pictures of himself,” as well as describing “various sexual acts that he wanted to engage in” with her, the girl told her mother, who contacted police.

That same month, “a law enforcement officer assumed the girl’s Kik identity to continue to correspond with Bacon,” the release said.

During the conversation with Bacon, the undercover officer claimed to be 15 years old, authorities said.

Bacon “repeatedly sent sexually explicit pictures and videos of himself,” and asked the officer posing as the teen to send him sexually explicit pictures in return.

He also asked to pick the girl up from school “so he could see her,” and suggested going to the mall “where the girl could try on clothes while Bacon watched and engaged in a sexual act,” the release said. He also suggested taking her to a motel, authorities said.

Enfield police arrested Bacon on state charges on Nov. 19, 2018. He has pleaded not guilty to Connecticut charges of enticing a minor by computer and risk of injury to a child, and was released on $75,000 bond, online court records show.

He is due back in court on the state charges on Jan. 11.

Authorities arrested him on federal charges in July last year.

Bacon was released on $100,000 bond and is due back in federal court on March 3 for sentencing, the U.S. Attorney’s office said.

He faces 5 to 20 years in prison.