COVID-19 hits Ansonia’s Prendergast School again
ANSONIA — Another case of COVID-19 has affected Prendergast School.
Superintendent of Schools Joseph DiBacco said an individual who was in seven of the school’s classrooms Oct. 26 and had contact with students and staff has tested positive for the virus.
Two staff members and 70 students have been told to quarantine for 14 days, the superintendent said. The seven classrooms were being deep cleaned Wednesday, the district’s remote learning day for all students.
The school was expected to reopen Thursday to the rest of students and staff.
Last week, another individual who was in two classrooms tested positive for COVID-19, which forced the staff and students in the classrooms to be on quarantine. Those classrooms have re-opened, the superintendent said.
DiBacco Wednesday urged parents “to err on the side of caution when deciding whether or not to send their students to school if symptoms are observed.”
He urged anyone with questions to contact the school nurse.
Some of the symptoms include a fever of 100 degrees or more, fatigue, muscle aches, sore throat, persistent cough and loss of taste and smell.
Anyone who feels a need to be tested should contact Griffin Hospital, which does testing every day, he said.
“The program we’ve worked on with Griffin is a “Fast Track” program, as it eliminates the need for an individual to be seen by their physician to have COVID-19 testing order written,” DiBacco said. “Any individual from Ansonia Public Schools — employees and students — can contact Griffin’s Occupational Medicine Center at 203-944-3718 and tell them they’re calling from Ansonia Public Schools.”
“Griffin participates with all insurance companies, including Anthem and Husky,” the superintendent said. “Anyone going for testing should provide their insurance information so that the claim can be billed through their health insurance. As it stands now, all indications from insurance companies are that this testing is being covered at no charge, so people should not experience any out-of-pocket expenses.”
With the latest infection, DiBacco is urging parents to follow the state Department of Public Health’s recommendation that children do not go door-to-door to trick or treat on Halloween.
“I absolutely support the Department of Public Health’s guidelines,” DiBacco said. “There are many safer alternatives than the traditional door-to-door trick or treating.”
One alternative will take place at City Hall on Friday evening.
Mayor David Cassetti and Richard DiCarlo, president of the Valley Arts Council, have arranged for vehicles to drive through the parking entrance of City Hall and have pre-packaged bagged candy delivered to the car. The event will take place from 6 p.m to 8:30 p.m.