Power pole shock sends 2 young kids to Shriners Hospital
Updated 11:06 am, Monday, February 18, 2013
A 5-year-old girl and her 3-year-old brother were in the hospital battling for their lives after they were injured by an electrical shock Sunday afternoon in northwest Harris County.
The children were shocked about 1:30 p.m. in the 3600 block of Nutwood Lane near Roseville, said Assistant Chief Deputy Mark Herman of the Precinct 4 Harris County Constable's Office.
Herman said the two children came in contact with a metal stabilizing cable attached to a power pole. The cable somehow touched live wires or other equipment on the pole and became energized, Herman said. The two children were shocked. Herman said the young girl was briefly unconscious afterward.
No other injuries were reported.
The children were flown by LifeFlight medical helicopter to Shriners Hospital in Galveston. They were in critical condition early Monday and were expected to undergo surgery.
Herman said authorities as well as CenterPoint were investigating the case.