Way Back When... 1802
Published 12:00 am, Sunday, November 5, 2017
In 1802, Henry Munroe, an African-American, bought eight acres of land from John Burr in the Greens Farms section of Westport.
By 1806, he had built a farmhouse and had moved from the Greenfield section of Fairfield with his wife Lyzette (c. 1778-1836) and family. The building is one of few documented houses built by a free black man in the 19th century.
Today the early 19th century farmhouse and related barn on the parcel represent the Munroe family and the other black residents, both free and enslaved, who lived in the area. Listed in the 1800 census as heads of households are Peter Hide, Peter Nash, Caesar, Fortune, Robin, Quom, Titus and others.
Their births and deaths are also recorded in the Green Farms Parish Register. This property is privately owned and not open to the public.
This information was provided by the Connecticut Freedom Trail. More information can be found at ctfreedomtrail.org.