(skip this header)

Westport News

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

westport-news.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Washington Avenue roof fire sparked by chimney embers quickly doused

Updated 2:34 pm, Sunday, November 25, 2012

nextprevious

  • A small patch of flames is visible on the roof of this Washington Avenue house, where firefighters were dispatched after embers from the chiminey apparently sparked the fire.  Westport CT 11/25/12 Photo: Westport Fire Department / Westport News contributed
    A small patch of flames is visible on the roof of this Washington Avenue house, where firefighters were dispatched after embers from the chiminey apparently sparked the fire. Westport CT 11/25/12 Photo: Westport Fire Department

 

Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

A Sunday morning roof fire at a Washington Avenue home, caused by embers from the home's chimney, was quickly extinguished by firefighters dispatched to the scene.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze about 9:30 a.m. Sunday by a neighbor from Evergreen Parkway, who reported that flames were visible on the two-story home's roof. Four engines, a rescue vehicle and shift commanders vehicle were dispatched to the scene, as well as a ladder truck from Wilton Fire Department. An engine from the Fairfield Fire Department covered Westport fire headquarters in case other fire calls were received.

The home's residents had left the structure safely by the time firefighters arrived, but reported the dwelling's smoke detectors had not been activated. Firefighters said the detectors probably had not been triggered because the blaze was confined to the roof and unfinished attic where there were no detectors.

A preliminary investigation of the fire by the Fire Marshal's office found the cause was hot embers from the chimney that landed on the home's wooden roof shingles.

Most of the fire damage was confined to the roof shingles, with minor water and smoke damage to the second floor, according to firefighters.