Sachem Trail fire ignited by improper disposal of fireplace ashes
Published 7:45 am, Thursday, November 28, 2013
A fire ignited Wednesday night at a Sachem Trail home by improper disposal of fireplace ashes has prompted fire officials to issue a safety reminder.
The fire was reported shortly before 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, and firefighters arriving at the Sachem Train home saw flames on the front porch. Four fire engines, a ladder truck and shift commander -- a total of 15 firefighters -- were dispatched to the scene.
The fire was confined to the home's exterior and was quickly extinguished in about 10 minutes, according to the fire report. As the flames were being doused, other firefighters checked the rest of the dwelling to make sure the fire had not spread. The last fire unit left the scene about an hour later.
The cause of the fire, investigated by the Fire Marshal's Office, was determined to be fireplace ashes left in a paper bag on the front porch.
Fire officials remind people to safely dispose of fireplace ashes by using a metal container. The remains of a fire should never be disposed of in paper, cardboard or plastic bags or containers, officials warn. And the metal disposal container should not be placed near anything that could ignite from the heat, such as a wood pile, on a wood deck or a structure's wooden siding.