Restored Minute Man statue to be unveiled Monday
Published 3:06 pm, Friday, December 19, 2014
The restored Minute Man Monument, at the intersection of Compo Road South and Compo Beach Road, will be unveiled at a ceremony Monday.
The $66,900 project began in September and included reworking the fieldstone foundation and raising it about 18 inches.
The original height of the stone wall base was 2 feet, but that was shortened when the road around the monument was raised, Miller said in an earlier interview.
He said the stone wall was part of the original design -- in tribute to the walls colonial-era farmers in the area routinely built from stones cleared from their fields. "They wanted to capture the feel of the farm," Miller said of the monument's designers.
The wrought iron fence that originally encircled the monument was also restored and a concrete foundation was installed to make it more stable, he explained. He said the fence needed some repairs since it had been damaged over the years by cars and snow plows hitting into it.
The earthen mound, which has eroded over time was also regraded.
Miller said the statue didn't require much repair and was covered in plastic during much of the process to protect it while work was being done around it.
The statue, initially unveiled in June 1910, was designed by 30-year-old H. Daniel Webster and cast by Tiffany & Co. It commemorates the local militia who took on invading British troops in April 1777.
"The project, overseen by Westport's Historic District Commission and Arts Advisory Committee, was made possible by the generous support of the town of Westport," according to a press release from Marpe's office.
Additional ceremonies and town-wide events celebrating the restoration of the monument will take place in the spring, it said.
More information on the project may be found at the Historic District Commission page on the town's website, www.westportct.gov.