Published 7:00 pm, Tuesday, March 4, 2008
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 pound lean ground turkey
14-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
12-ounce jar roasted eggplant dip
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1. In a large, ovenproof skillet over medium high, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic, cinnamon, allspice, bay leaf and paprika.
2. Saute until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef or turkey and cook until the meat is just browned.
4. Stir in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes.
5. Preheat the broiler.
6. Add the roasted eggplant and simmer, covered, another 5 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
7. Season with salt and black pepper.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and top with crumbled feta. Alternately, transfer the moussaka to an oven-safe serving dish, then top with feta.
9. Broil the moussaka for 1 to 2 minutes, just enough to lightly brown the cheese.
10. Just before serving, garnish with mint.
Notes: Start to finish 30 minutes ... Serves 4.
Nutrition information per serving: 367 calories; 15 g fat (1 g saturated); 45 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrate; 33 g protein; 5 g fiber; 808 mg sodium.