Published 5:28 pm, Monday, April 5, 2010
Here are some events offered in the Danbury area for your health, fitness and well-being. Check here each week for new listings.
n Danbury Hospital Nurses Alumnae Association Meeting: April 7, 2 p.m., hospital cafeteria. 203-744-4914.
• When You Have Lost an Adult Sibling: Grief workshop, April 7, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Healing Hearts Center for Grieving Children & Families, 73 Stadley Rough Road, Danbury. For more information, call Healing Hearts at 203-792-4422.
• Brookfield's 4th annual Relay for Life: Seeks volunteers to be committee chairs and members and nominations for the June 4 event for Honorary Chair and Littlest Angel. Nominations should be sent to email@example.com or by calling 203-775-0554.
• New Milford Hospital health programs: The hospital's cardiac fitness staff will conduct weight management workshops for adults and parents in the coming weeks. "A New Weigh to a Healthier You," a four-part series focusing on the basic principles of weight management, will be held April 19, 26, May 3 and 10 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. in the Robison Conference Rooms at the 21 Elm St. hospital. "We Can: Ways to Enhance Children's Activity & Nutrition," a four-part series designed for parents of children aged 8 to 13, will be held April 19 and 26 and May 3 and 10 from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Robison Conferences Room. A Freshstart quit smoking program will begin April 19 at 6:30 p.m. The four-week course, which will be held at the hospital, will cost $25, with a $5 refund for each class attended. For more information, fees and registration, call 800-350-1595 or visit www.newmilfordhospital.org.
• Danbury Running For Life 5K run/walk: April 24 at 10 a.m. The run will start and end at Rogers Park. The entry fee is $20 if postmarked before April 15, $25 if later. Checks should be made payable to Jericho Partnership Inc. and mailed to: 13 Rose St., Danbury, CT 06810. For information, visit www.athletesofchrist.com or call Joe Bouchard at 203-522-5805 or Ronny DaSilva at 203-240-3708.
• Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk: 1.3-mile walk May 1 at
10 a.m., Harrybrooke Park, New Milford. Registration at 9 a.m. Light refreshments and children's activities and entertainment. To print a registration form, visit www.alz.org/ct. For more information, call 860-828-2828.
• Huntington's disease benefit dinner: June 5, 5:30 to 9:30 p.m., Bantam Fire Department, 92 Doyle Road, off Route 202, Bantam. Tickets are $30, $10 for children under 10. Silent and Chinese auctions, music, dancing and three-course meal. Call Maher family at 860-355-3382, Melinda Maher at 203-241-9216, or e-mail CureHD2006@aol.com. Also visit www.CureHD2006.com.
CLASSES AND LECTURES
n Latin Moves Plus: Low-impact workout of Latin dance steps, Thursdays at 7:15 p.m., A Common Ground, 346 Main St., Danbury. Free class for new students. 203-791-9850.
• YogaDance class: Reduce stress and increase joy, Thursdays from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., Danbury War Memorial, $8 a session, with discounts for 10-class cards. Call 203-743-3932 or 203-798-1210.
• Jazzercise dance-fitness classes: Monday, Wednesdays
n Danbury Visiting Nurse Association vaccines available by appointment: Pediatric and adult travel vaccines, shingles vaccine, and other adult vaccines at the VNA office, 4 Liberty St. Call 203-792-4120 and press 0 for the receptionist to make an appointment. Also, check for WOW Van locations by calling 203-730-5270 or visiting www.danburyvna.org.
• Ridgefield Visiting Nurse Association travel clinic and immunizations: For those 18 and older by appointment. Call 203-438-5555.
• New Milford Visiting Nurse Association adult travel and shingle vaccines and well-child immunizations: Call 860-354-2216 for appointment.
n Free blood pressure screening at Masonicare at Newtown nursing department: April 20, 10 a.m. to noon, 139 Toddy Hill Road. Public welcome.
• Blood pressure screening in Bethel: Fourth Wednesday of the month, 1 to 2 p.m., Bethel Senior Center, 1 School St. Call 203-
• Blood pressure screening in New Preston: First Tuesdays, 1 to
2 p.m., Webster Bank, Route 202, New Preston.
• Blood pressure screening in Newtown: Second Thursdays, noon to 1 p.m., Newtown Senior Center, 15 Riverside Road, Sandy Hook. Call 203-270-4315.
• Blood pressure screening in Redding: Second Tuesdays,
12:30 to 1:30 p.m., Redding Senior Center in the Community Center.
• Blood pressure screening in Ridgefield: First Mondays, 9:30 to 11 a.m.; Ballard Green, 25 Gilbert St.; third Mondays, 2 to 3 p.m., Ridgefield Parks and Recreation, 195 Danbury Road; first Thursdays, noon to 1:30 p.m., Founders Hall, 193 Danbury Road; and third Wednesdays, 1 to 2 p.m., VNA,
90 East Ridge.
• Blood pressure screening in Washington: Third Tuesdays,
11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Washington Senior Center,
Bryan Memorial, Washington.
n Danbury: Our Lady of Guadalupe, 29 Golden Hill Road, Mondays, 7 p.m. (Spanish).
• Danbury: MCCA, 38 Old Ridgebury Road, Wednesday, noon.
• Danbury: Danbury Hospital Center for Behavioral Health/Old Eldorodo, 152 West St., Wednesday at 8 p.m. and Friday at 7:30 p.m.
• Danbury: St. James Episcopal Church, 25 West St., Thursday, 7:30 p.m. (beginners) and 8 p.m.
• Danbury: United Methodist Church, 5 Clapboard Ridge Road, Saturday, 9:30 a.m.
• Danbury: Church of Christ,
90 Clapboard Ridge Road, Friday,
7 p.m. (women's).
• New Fairfield: New Life Community Church, Route 37, Monday, 7:30 p.m.
• Ridgefield: Visiting Nurse's Association, 90 East Ridge Road, Monday at 8 p.m. and Friday at noon.
• New Milford: First Congregational Church Parish House, 36 Main St., Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. and Friday at 7 p.m. (downstairs)
• Newtown: St. Rose Building,
38 Church Hill Road, Tuesday at 7 p.m. (downstairs, back entrance); 7:30 p.m. (beginner's, upstairs, front entrance);
8 p.m. (upstairs, front entrance).
• Newtown: Youth and Family Services, 17 Church Hill Road, Tuesday at 7 p.m. (Alateen, back entrance).
• Bethel: St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 95 Greenwood Ave., Sunday at 7:30 p.m. (men, back entrance, basement).
• For Al-Anon and Alateen times and locations, call 888-825-2666. Open to friends and relatives of people with alcohol problems.
• Alcoholics Anonymous: For times and locations, call 860-354-9843.
• La Leche League of New Milford: third Tuesdays at
9:30 a.m. and first Wednesdays
at 7 p.m., Parish House at First Congregational Church, 36 Main St., New Milford. Contact Jen LaCava at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-355-4440.
• Mental Health Support Group, Danbury: First and third Thursdays at 5 p.m., Western Connecticut Mental Health Network, 78 Triangle St. (across from DMV). Learn how people with mental illness and substance-abuse problems can achieve recovery with the help of families, friends and loved ones. Contact Paula Zigman at 203-448-3149 or 203-448-3200.
• Choosing Healthy Alternatives Over Substances (CHAOS): Adolescent substance-abuse group, Wednesdays at 6 p.m.,
17 Church Hill Road, Newtown. Offered by Newtown Youth and Family Services.
• Me After We: Divorce support for adults, Tuesdays, 7 to 8:30 p.m.,
17 Church Hill Road, Newtown. Offered by Newtown Youth and Family Services.
• Women Empowering Women:
A group to help women over 18 increase self-esteem, make improvements in their lives, and increase their sense of optimism, Thursdays, 6:45 to 7:45 p.m.,
17 Church Hill Road, Newtown. Offered by Newtown Youth and Family Services.
• ALS Support Group: Every fourth Wednesday, 5 to 6 p.m., Bethel Health Care, 13 Park Lawn Drive, Bethel.
• Alzheimer's/Dementia Support Group: First Thursdays, 4:30 to
6 p.m., Danbury Health Care Center, 107 Osborne St. Refreshments, no fees, open to the community. 203-792-8102.
• Overeaters Anonymous support groups: Two locations in Danbury -- Harborside Healthcare, 1 Glen Hill Road, Sundays at 5 p.m., and Community Center for Behavioral Health, 152 West St., Wednesdays at 7 p.m. and Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
• Lyme, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia Support Group: Second Thursdays, noon to 1 p.m., Ridgefield Visiting Nurse Association, 90 East Ridge, Ridgefield. Call Jennifer Reid at 203-431-0462.
• Multiple Sclerosis Group: Second Wednesday, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Main Street Rehabilitation Center, 235 Main St., Danbury. Call 203-264-2252 or 203-730-5966.
• Adoption Healing: For adoptees, adoptive families and birth families. For date and location, call 860-355-8389 or 860-868-7652.
• Conversations with Dianne diabetes support group: Third Tuesday, 10 to 11 a.m., New Milford Senior Center, 40 Main St., New Milford.
• Guido Tino Stroke Support Group: For survivors, blood pressure taken at each meeting, last Wednesday of the month,
2 to 3 p.m., New Milford Hospital Robison Rooms, 21 Elm St., ground-level entrance. Facilitated by Maureen Salerno. Call 860-
• Non-denominational healing service: Third Sunday, 6 to 7 p.m. New Milford Hospital Interfaith Chapel, 21 Elm St. Provided by Oratory of the Little Way.
• Visually Impaired Support Group: For times and locations, call
New Milford Senior Center at 860-355-6075.
• Break the Silence: an ongoing group for adult survivors of any form of sexual assault, meets weekly in Danbury. Call 203-731-5200.
• Lesbian Support Group: Women's Center of Greater Danbury. Provides weekly support, connection to the community, resources and information. Call (203) 731-5200.
n Bereavement Support: first and third Thursdays, 7 to 8:30 p.m., New Milford VNA, 68 Park Lane, New Milford. Walk-ins welcome. 860-354-2216.
• Bereavement Support: third Thursday, 3 to 4:30 p.m., Watermark at East Hill, Room 214A, Southbury. Call 203-262-6868.
• Healing Hearts Bereavement Support: ongoing groups for children and adults offered through Regional Hospice. For schedule and locations, call 203-792-4422.
• Widow/Widower's Support Group: For information or to sign up, call 860-355-0491.
• Going Solo: For widows and widowers, second Friday, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., New Milford Senior Center, 40 Main St. Call 860-355-6075.
• Share group: Third Thursdays, 7 to 8 p.m. New Milford Hospital, Robison Conference Room, 21 Elm St. For parents experiencing loss of a newborn baby, stillbirth or miscarriage. Facilitated by Jessica Fuentes, R.N. Call 860-355-2611, ext. 4384.
n Parenting Basics: For parents of children birth to 5-years-old, Mondays, 11a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Parish Center at First Congregational Church, 36 Main St., New Milford. Sponsored by Nurturing Families. Call 860-354-5962.
• Moms Group: every Friday from 1 to 3 p.m., Garden View Activity Room of Mahopac Library, Route 6, Mahopac, N.Y. Call 845-278-6558, ext. 2119, to register. Siblings welcome.
• New Mommy's Chat Program: every Friday from 2 to 4 p.m. at Kent Library, Route 52, Kent. Call Anka Roberto at 845-278-6558, ext. 2124, to register. Siblings welcome.
• Mom To Mom support group: Second Monday of the month, 1:30 to 3 p.m., Families Network, 5 Library Place, Danbury. Free and open to all first-time mothers in the area. Call 203-791-8773.
• Feliz Mama Support Group: first Mondays, 10 to 11 a.m., Families Network, 5 Library Place, Danbury. Free and open to all moms in the area who speak Spanish and Portuguese. Call 203-791-8773.
• La Leche League of Lake Waramaug: Third Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m., and first Wednesdays at 7 p.m., parish house of First Congregational Church, 36 Main St., New Milford. Call 860-868-9294.
n Women Together: For those newly diagnosed and in treatment for breast cancer, second and fourth Wednesday evenings, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Tammy Conley. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Women Together Graduates: For those who have completed treatment for breast cancer, second Monday evening of the month, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Pat Goldman. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Post Graduates: For long-term survivors of breast cancer, third Monday evenings, Ann's Place, Danbury, facilitated by Mary Burker. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Men Together: For men who have prostate cancer, first Wednesday evenings, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Jim Coffey. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Partners: For partners of those who have prostate cancer, first Wednesday evenings, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Pam Berry. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Danbury New Voices Club: For people who have had a laryngectomy, first Sunday afternoon, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Mary Burke. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Coffee and Conversation: For senior women surviving cancer, fourth Thursday morning, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Mary Burke. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Keeping On: For young survivors of recurring or chronic cancer, Wednesday afternoons, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Mary Burke. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Parents Group: For parents who have a cancer patient in the family, first and third Wednesday evenings, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Cindy Corn. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Kids Kan: Educational and play group for children who have a family member diagnosed with cancer, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Cheryl Koeber. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Caring: For friends and family of those with cancer, first and third Wednesday evenings, Ann's Place in Danbury, co-facilitated by Paula LeFebvre and Carol Woodruff. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• Transitions: For those who have lost a loved one to cancer, second and fourth Monday evenings, Ann's Place in Danbury, facilitated by Pam Berry. To register, call 203-790-6568.
• MS Caregivers: second Wednesday, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Main Street Physical Rehabilitation Center, 235 Main St., Danbury. Call 203-730-5966.
• Caregivers: first Thursday, 4:40 to 6 p.m., Danbury Health Care Center, 107 Osborne St., Danbury. Call 203-792-8102.
• Cardiac Support: third Wednesdays, 7 p.m., Danbury Hospital's Praxair Conference Room, first floor of Strook Building.
• CARES support group: For cancer patients and family members, every Thursday, 11 a.m., New Milford Hospital, 21 Elm St. Call the hospital Social Work Department at 860-210-7442.
• Orinda cancer recovery support group: For dates and locations, call 860-355-1893.
n Yoga: For people living with cancer, various times. Call Ann's Place in Danbury, 203-790-6568.
• Reiki: For people living with cancer, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Call Ann's Place in Danbury, 203-790-6568.
• Lebed: Therapeutic movement/dance exercise program for women with cancer, Thursday evenings. Call Ann's Place in Danbury, 203-790-6568.
• CARES Cancer Support Group: For cancer patients and their families, Thursdays, 11 a.m. to noon, New Milford Hospital. Call 860-210-7442.
RELAY FOR LIFE
n Relay For Life of Shepaug Valley: May 22 to 23 at River Walk Park in Washington. The event is a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Nominations for honorary chairpersons are sought, in particular cancer survivors and caregivers. Nominations should include a short explanation of how the person has coped with their cancer journey. Cancer survivors and caregivers are also invited to submit a request to serve as an honorary chairperson. Nominations may be sent to Relay For Life chairperson Tricia S. Reilly, 19 Evergreen Lane, Roxbury, CT 06783 or e-mailed to ShepaugRelayOnline@gmail.com. A community country dance fundraiser to benefit the Relay For Life of Shepaug Valley will be held May 8 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Washington town hall in Bryan Hall Plaza. The dance will feature contra and square dancing led by caller Patricia Campbell. The Reel Thing and guest musicians Jim and Willow Sirch will provide the music. Refreshments will be provided. Donations will be accepted at the door. For more information, call Bob and Diane Baker at 860-868-2311 or visit www.countrydancecaller.com.