Firefighters: Pipe thawing may have sparked Bayberry fire
Published 6:55 am, Friday, January 25, 2013
The resident of a garage apartment on Bayberry Lane apparently sparked a fire in a wall of the structure by thawing frozen pipes Thursday evening.
Firefighters were dispatched to the detached garage, with an apartment above, about 5:15 p.m. Thursday when a "911" call reported flames coming from the building.
When fire crews arrived on the scene, smoke was coming from a corner of the first floor. Firefighters used hand tools to open up the wall and extinguished the fire, while others checked to make sure the blaze had not spread to the living unit upstairs.
The apartment resident told firefighters that he had been thawing pipes frozen by the frigid weather, according to the report.
Responding to the fire call, four engines, a truck company and the shift commander were dispatched to the scene. An engine from the Fairfield Fire Department provided backup coverage for other calls from Westport fire headquarters.
The incident is being investigated by the Fire Marshal's Office.