(skip this header)

Westport News

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

westport-news.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Firefighters: Pipe thawing may have sparked Bayberry fire

Published 6:55 am, Friday, January 25, 2013
  • Firefighters at the scene of a Bayberry Lane garage apartment fire Thursday night that was apparently sparked by the resident thawing frozen pipes.  WESTPORT NEWS, CT 1/24/13 Photo: Westport Fire Department / Westport News contributed
    Firefighters at the scene of a Bayberry Lane garage apartment fire Thursday night that was apparently sparked by the resident thawing frozen pipes. WESTPORT NEWS, CT 1/24/13 Photo: Westport Fire Department

 

Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

The resident of a garage apartment on Bayberry Lane apparently sparked a fire in a wall of the structure by thawing frozen pipes Thursday evening.

Firefighters were dispatched to the detached garage, with an apartment above, about 5:15 p.m. Thursday when a "911" call reported flames coming from the building.

When fire crews arrived on the scene, smoke was coming from a corner of the first floor. Firefighters used hand tools to open up the wall and extinguished the fire, while others checked to make sure the blaze had not spread to the living unit upstairs.

The apartment resident told firefighters that he had been thawing pipes frozen by the frigid weather, according to the report.

Responding to the fire call, four engines, a truck company and the shift commander were dispatched to the scene. An engine from the Fairfield Fire Department provided backup coverage for other calls from Westport fire headquarters.

The incident is being investigated by the Fire Marshal's Office.