(skip this header)

Westport News

Saturday, October 25, 2014

westport-news.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Firefighters: Inwood Lane fire sparked by faulty cord

Published 10:08 am, Saturday, July 20, 2013
  • A faulty extension is blamed for sparked a fire in the basement rug of an Inwood Lane home early Saturday.  WESTPORT NEWS, CT 07/20/13 Photo: Westport Fire Department / Westport News contributed
    A faulty extension is blamed for sparked a fire in the basement rug of an Inwood Lane home early Saturday. WESTPORT NEWS, CT 07/20/13 Photo: Westport Fire Department

 

Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

A basement fire sparked by a faulty extension cord in an Inwood Lane home was extinguished Saturday morning before the flames could spread.

The fire was reported shortly after 7 a.m. Saturday, and when firefighters arrived on the scene, they found fire burning in a 3-by-5-foot section of the basement carpet as smoke filled the area.

Firefighters doused the blaze with a pressurized water extinguisher, and to ensure no spread of the fire, shut down circuit breakers in the house.

Smoke was ventilated from the house using fans.

Source of the fire was determined to be an extension cord being used for a basement dehumidifier.

In a press release issued after the fire, firefighters suggested that people plug all portable appliances directly into wall outlets and utilize different circuits to reduce overloading a home's wiring.