(skip this header)

Westport News

Sunday, November 29, 2015

westport-news.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Faulty smoke detector triggers Staples alarm, causing evacuation

Updated 5:23 pm, Tuesday, January 14, 2014
Larger | Smaller
Email This
Page 1 of 1

A faulty smoke detector triggered an alarm that caused evacuation of Staples High School around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Evacuating the building is standard protocol, said Assistant Fire Chief Michael Kronick.

He said the alarm was triggered twice, causing a second evacuation of the school.

Emergency personnel responded to the scene and found the problem originated with the smoke detector.

Kronick said the Fire Marshal's office was managing response to the problem and, at 5 p.m., officials were waiting for alarm company workers to come to the scene.