(skip this header)

Westport News

Friday, October 31, 2014

westport-news.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Chimney embers blamed in house fire

Published 2:40 pm, Sunday, November 25, 2012
Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

A Sunday morning roof fire at a Washington Avenue home, caused by embers from the home's chimney, was quickly extinguished by firefighters dispatched to the scene, officials said Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze about 9:30 a.m. Sunday by a neighbor from Evergreen Parkway, who reported that flames were visible on the two-story home's roof. Four engines, a rescue vehicle and shift commanders vehicle were dispatched to the scene, as well as a ladder truck from Wilton Fire Department. An engine from the Fairfield Fire Department covered Westport fire headquarters in case other fire calls were received.

The home's residents had left the structure safely by the time firefighters arrived, but reported the dwelling's smoke detectors had not been activated. Firefighters said the detectors probably had not been triggered because the blaze was confined to the roof and unfinished attic where there were no detectors.

A preliminary investigation of the fire by the Fire Marshal's Office found the cause was hot embers from the chimney that landed on the home's wooden roof shingles.

Most of the fire damage was confined to the roof shingles, with minor water and smoke damage to the second floor, according to firefighters.