Caesar-ish Salad and Fried Ravioli
Published 7:00 pm, Tuesday, December 25, 2007
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
1. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the ravioli.
2. While the pasta cooks, in a small bowl whisk together the lemon zest and juice, garlic, mustard, anchovy paste, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Stream in the remaining olive oil, whisking constantly.
4. When the ravioli float to water's surface, drain and set aside.
5. On a plate, mix together the cornmeal, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan and plenty of pepper.
6. In a large, deep nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high. Working in batches, dredge the drained ravioli through the cornmeal and cheese mixture, shaking off the excess.
7. Fry the ravioli in the oil until golden, about 2 minutes per side, then transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Season the ravioli with salt.
8. In a large bowl, toss the romaine with the dressing (whisk again if needed), then season with pepper and the remaining cheese and toss again.
9. Divide the salad among 4 large bowls and top with the fried ravioli.
Notes: Start to finish 15 minutes ... Serves 4
(Recipe from Rachael Ray's "Rachael Ray: Just in Time," Clarkson Potter, 2007, $19.95)