A fire that erupted in a basement dehumidifier of a Glenwood Lane house Thursday afternoon was confined to the device, but heavy smoke filled the occupied dwelling, firefighters said.

The blaze was reported about 12:45 p.m. Thursday, and when the first fire units arrived on the scene, light smoke was coming from the front of the structure. Searching for the source of the fire in the large basement area, firefighters found an electric dehumidifier and nearby papers had caught fire, creating smoky conditions in the basement as well as the rest of the house.

The fire was quickly extinguished, firefighters said, but the home's occupant was tested for possible carbon-monoxide poisoning as a precaution. Further treatment, however, was declined.

Two engines, a tower ladder truck, and a deputy chief were dispatched to the scene at the initial report of a house fire.

Investigators from the Fire Marshal's office are looking into possible causes of the fire.